Saturday, August 30, 2008

Critical Ass


I rode my bike around Deer Island before driving into the city to meet the masses for a long, slow bike ride- Critical Mass. It was my first time and it was exciting. There were somewhere in the vicinity of 200 people on bikes, peddling through the streets of Boston causing havoc, although from what I hear, it was mild in comparison to Friday's past.
I liked it, but I'm not sure how I feel about the bikers literally standing in front of cars, forcing them to stop while all 200 of us peddle by, through red lights. It shows a certain amount of disrespect to say the least. I'm all for rebellion, but I couldn't help thinking- what if one of these cars had somewhere important to be or had some sort of emergency situation they were heading towards? Isn't it rather self-centered of us to give the proverbial 'fuck you'? Not to mention it doesn't do much to make motorists want to be accommodating to cyclists- they probably see us as Critical Ass.
All of that said, I had a good time and it was amazing to see so many bikes and people peddling.