Monday, July 6, 2009

Timing is everything....or is it?


People always say "I was in the right place at the right time" or "I was at the wrong place at the wrong time". Destiny. People like to believe that thinks happen for a reason and I suppose I, too, used to believe that at one point, but that all changed suddenly one day.


I was in Whole Foods, buying baby's breath for my cat Simon. Simon (my beloved female cat) loved pull the buds off the stems and nibble on them. Every week I would buy her a new bunch and as soon as I walked in the apartment she would greet me at the door, smell the baby's breath and get all excited, kneading her paws on the hard wood floor.


The florist and I chatted about the baby's breath and cats and she started talking about her cat who had died years ago. She said that a year later, she came across another cat with the same coloring, who she took in. Over time, she found out that this new cat had been born around the same time her other cat had died and she determined that the new cat was the original cat, reincarnated.


I don't believe in reincarnation so to me this seemed like as far fetched an idea as the moon is make of cheese. I decided right there and then that we create our own truth to make ourselves feel better and to make sense of the world. I stopped believing that things happen for a reason and adopted a new belief- that life just happens and we can choose to make things happen out of that or not.


Maybe I too am creating this new belief so that life makes more sense for me.